Armour of God
Posted by adventbiblestudy on September 15, 2010
KJV Ephesians 6:10-19
10. Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15. And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
19. And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Did you ever consider the order of the armor of God in relationship to the order of earth’s history as seen in the statue of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream?
The helmet of salvation. Salvation is actually the first step to becoming a Christian. To learn about this free gift of salvation and accepting it.
The breastplate of righteousness. The next step to becoming a Christian. To let Jesus into your heart. To let Him convict you of your sins. To replace those sins with only the good that only comes from the Father. To have Jesus show you the love that only He can show you.
The legs covered with truth. This is what Jesus teaches us about after we accept Him into our hearts. To show us the difference between the empty promises of the world and the eternal promises of God. The next step is learn the difference between truth and lies. Sin here originated in a lie. It is through lies that sin lives here on earth. It is those lies that make us blind. It is only through prayer that we may have sight to see the truth.
After we learn to study the word of God our feet will always be drawn to His word in times of trouble. Every verse, every line and word of the Bible is put there to reach someone at some point of their lives. This book was written by the Creator God who has made the foundation of all things out of material and substance that we can not even see. Much less understand. Don’t forget God has even created the material that make up the pages of His book. Every single atom that they contain. And just as God can create, change and alter this microscopic matter, He can open our minds and our hearts to see the lessons, the bread of life we need for this day, from His words. We need only to ask.
And yet there are two more to learn from. The shield of faith. We will see many things that we will not understand. There will be many questions.
Hebrews 11:1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
But as time goes by your knowledge will be increased. God will reveal all to a faithful servant of the word. This shield is not visible and in itself is faith. This shield protects us from the attacks we will endure from forces we can neither see nor understand. The attackes that we could never survive on our own.
Lastly there is the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. After we study for a time many things will become clearer and an entire picture can be seen. The sword of the Lord is a two edged sword. Much like the knife of a skilled surgeon it can cut out the disease and heal the healthy parts of the body. In the same way the word of the Lord when it enters into us cuts out the bad and diseased habits of our lives. The word removes the evil controlling spirits within us and replaces them with new and growing tissue that can bring glory to God and aid Him in reaching others.
And this is all brought together by one little thing. Prayer. Talking to God. Getting to know Him. And through God getting to know yourself.
Here are a couple of Bible Study Internet resources I have been using. I have to tell you. I have been learning so much from these classes taught for free by pastor, teacher, and lecturer Dr. Lee Gugliotto. He has taught classes in biblical languages, theology, and hermeneutics at several seminaries. His book, Handbook for Bible Study, was awarded a Gold Medallion, the equivalent of an Oscar for Christian writers. Since working with Dr. Lee, my insight into God’s Word has more than tripled.
WebStudy is a virtual classroom over the Internet. It will train you to listen for God’s voice in the text so the Bible can explain itself. You will master study basics that lay the foundations for deeper personal learning.
QuikerStudy relies on the way the Holy Spirit led Bible writers to express truth God revealed to them. It equips you to use basic Bible study tools and to understand scripture guided by three simple principles––integrated into a single skill. Easy enough for children, it is the ultimate online inductive experience for the whole family.
CuppaJ Cafe serves the most satisfying CuppaJesus in town. We brew up a fresh daily devotion, verse-by-verse from the text to bring out its full flavor. Then we share each daily devotional with those who come to the Cafe to give the group a taste of what the text has to offer, so they can have a deeper, personal learning experience with Christ later that day.
How we brew up the word:
- First, we define words, explain the meaning of figures and symbols, and acquaint them with people, places, and things in the text
- Then, we lead the people on a simple trip through the text
- Pour out a Christian thought from it, and…
- Invite everyone to interpret the text from the writer’s words
- Finally, we challenge everyone to spend time in the text alone with Christ later in the day to pour out another and better CuppaJesus from the same brewHttp://cuppajcafe.org/